Multifunctional products obtained from colostrum fermented by kefir grains
Eureka project identification: E! 11785
Romanian Financing contract no. 62/2018
Romanian Financing authority: Executive Unit for Financing Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI)
Project value (for Romania): 412 900 Euro (322 578 Euro from state budget and 90 322 Euro co-financing)
The 3-Biotic+ project aims to develop a complex, multifunctional 3-biotic product (having a pre-, pro- and post-biotic effect), standardized on bioactive peptides, by controlled fermentation of colostrum with an enhanced kefir bacterial consortium. From this product, a new range of nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals will be further developed in the experimental development phase. The project objectives are: (i) to select enhanced kefir bacterial consortium, able to generate bioactive peptides and additional bioactive compounds into colostrum by fermentation; (ii) to optimize the fermentation process and to formulate the resulted product for nutraceutical and cosmeceutical applications; (iii) to demonstrate the functionalities of the products obtained from colostrum fermented by enhanced kefir bacterial consortium. One innovative approach is focused on bioactive peptides, as key component for standardization of the complex, 3-biotic product. Other innovation is the holistic approach of the complex multifunctional product, corresponding to the actual trend toward integrated and personalized health treatment. Also, it is envisaged the researches coordination and activities correlation between the project partners (one SME, an university and a R&D institute from Romania and one SME from Norway). Project starts from TRL3 technological level and the implementation phase (experimental development) of the project will scale-up the level to TRL7/TRL8. The main result is a multifunctional, 3-biotic product, standardized in bioactive peptides. This 3-biotic product will be further included into specific receipts of nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals and patented by the project partners. SME market position will be consolidated by the diversification of its innovative products range.
- Medica Laboratories Srl, Romania, Main Partner, acronym MEDICA (http://pro-natura.ro/, http://medicagroup.ro/)
- “Dunărea de Jos” University Galați, Romania, Partner 1, acronym UDJG (www.ugal.ro)
- NorGenoTech AS, Norway, Partner 4, P4, acronym NGT (http://www.norgenotech.no/)
- National Institute for Research and Development for Biological Sciences, Romania, acronym INCDSB (www.incdsb.ro)
The project 3-Biotic+ aims to develop a complex, multifunctional 3-biotic product, standardized in bioactive peptides, by controlled fermentation of colostrum with an enhanced kefir consortium. From this product a range of nutraceutical (food/dietary supplement, functional foods for sportsmen) and cosmeceutical will be further developed.
The specific objectives of the project are:
(i) to select enhanced kefir consortium, able to generate bioactive peptides and additional bioactive compounds into colostrum by fermentation;
(ii) to optimize the fermentation process and to formulate the resulted product for nutraceutical and cosmeceutical application;
(iii) to demonstrate the functionalities of products obtained from colostrum fermented by enhanced kefir consortium.
The work-packages necessary for reaching specific project objectives are:
WP1. Selection of enhanced kefir consortium
WP2. Development of fermentation and formulation processes
WP3. Targeted characterization of the formed bioactives peptides and their role on nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals
WP4. Assay of antimutagenic, antigenotoxic and anti-inflammatory effects related to selected bio-applications
WP5. Determination of post-biotic effects conferring higher value to nutraceuticals
WP6. Dissemination and exploitation
The relationship between objectives and work-packages is presented in bellow figure:
Relationship between the “3-biotic+” project objectives and work-packages.
The main result of this project will be a multifunctional, 3-biotic product, standardized in bioactive peptides. This 3-biotic product will be further included into specific receipts of nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals and patented by the project partners. We expect to obtain:
- High-throughput screening techniques
- Well characterized enhanced kefir grain
- Selected pre-treatment process for colostrum conditioning prior to fermentation
- Scale-up yield on colostrum fermented by kefir grain on optimal conditions
- Stable, long shelf life 3biotic product
- Method for standardization of 3-biotic product based on colostrum fermented by kefir grain
- DNA lesions and oxidative DNA damage results validated, data quality validated.
- Mutagenesis results validated (OECD 476)
- Progress reports
- Articles submitted for publication
- Scientific communications
- Protection of innovative technical solutions